Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Alicia Keys or Wendy Rene???

So, I just heard the new Alicia Keys for the first time and is aiiight, definitely nothing too special. We'll get back the album review in a second.

The song that stood out to me right away was "where do we go from here." I heard that old Memphis Stax-Volt sound right away, especially in the organ. I was like damn..did Willie Mitchell produce this? Then we listened to it a second time and I realized it was not just a general sound it reminded me of, but a specific song...."AFTER LAUGHTER COMES TEARS" an old Wendy Rene song, which was also sampled by RZA for "TEARZ" on 36 Chambers. Sure enough it was an old Stax-Volt release and even after a little research, I can't put my finger on the producer. It sounds like Willie Mitchell. Unfortunately, that's not a track I have on 45, so maybe someone can help me??

That's really all I wanted to say. There's not too much to say about that whole Alicia Keys album. I think she sings from the heart, but doesn't have that REAL soul sound. Amy Winehouse is the only recent singer I'd put up there with some of those old classic soul singers.

No comments: